Last Updated on January 18, 2022
Today, we’re going to look at how to make mac and cheese sauce without flour. Making mac and cheese with no flour is actually much easier than you may expect! Macaroni and cheese is a favorite across the world, but particularly in the US. It’s creamy, cheesy, and actually one of my favorite foods to eat. But is it gluten-free? And how can you make it without using flour? Let’s take a look.
Ingredients In Mac And Cheese
While you can make macaroni and cheese as fancy or as basic as you’d like, the basic ingredients tend to remain the same throughout. The main ingredients in mac and cheese are:
- Macaroni (Elbow Pasta)
- Cheese (at least cheddar cheese, but often more than one type of cheese – parmesan is another great choice to use!)
Is Mac And Cheese Gluten Free?
Unfortunately, macaroni and cheese are not gluten-free. Traditional macaroni pasta is not gluten-free, as well as flour. Unless it specifically states that it’s gluten-free mac and cheese, there’s a high possibility that it will contain gluten.
Pasta is one of the main food products that contain gluten and one of the first foods I cut out of my diet to make the transition to a gluten-free diet.
How To Make Cheese Sauce Without Flour
Let’s take a look at how to make a gluten-free mac and cheese sauce without using the enemy that is wheat flour! It’s important to note that you need to also use gluten-free elbow macaroni pasta when making the recipes we’re looking at today. Most other ingredients will be naturally gluten-free, but always be sure to check ingredient labels.
Easy Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
This recipe from Sugar Spun Runs is incredible – and it doesn’t use any flour or roux, which when substituting the traditional macaroni pasta to gluten-free macaroni pasta, it’s easy to adapt!
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- 8oz (2 cups) of macaroni pasta – gluten free
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 slices of American Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika (optional)
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the perfect, simple mac and cheese.
- Over high heat, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Be sure to add lots of salt to the water
- Once boiling, add the pasta and cook for around 7-8 minutes. Stir intermittently
- Strain the pasta and leave in the strainer
- Using the same saucepan, add the milk, butter, salt, pepper, and paprika to the pan
- Stir frequently until the butter is melted
- Reduce to let the mixture simmer, and add the pasta. Combine well
- Reduce to a low heat
- Add the cheeses of your choice and leave for around 30 seconds so it begins to melt
- Serve immediately for best tasting results
Gluten Free Mac And Cheese Recipe
The second recipe we’re looking at today is from Call Me PMC and if you’re looking for a more luxurious gluten-free mac and cheese – look no further!
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- 8oz gluten free macaroni pasta
- 8oz cubed cream cheese at room temp
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 and ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black/white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
The recipe is as follows:
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray an oven pan with non-stick spray
- Bring 3 cups of water to the boil. Be sure to add lots of salt to the water. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes. Stir intermittently
- In a separate saucepan, over low heat melt the butter and cream cheese. Be sure to watch, so it doesn’t burn
- When melted, add cream and milk. Stir until a smooth consistency and hot
- Add cheese. Stir frequently until melted
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce
- Season with salt and pepper
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and breadcrumbs
- Pour the cheesy pasta into your non-stick pan and pour the breadcrumb mix over the top
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until it’s golden and crispy
- Serve immediately for best results
How To Thicken Cheese Sauce
If you’re looking for ways to thicken your cheese sauce without flour because it doesn’t have the consistency you like, there are a few easy ways to accomplish this. Check out our top ways.
- Cornstarch. Add one or two teaspoons of cornstarch to half a cup of water. Mix well to make a slurry. Now add the cornstarch mix to the sauce gradually until you reach the desired consistency. Allow to simmer for a few minutes to ensure the cornstarch flavor is no longer there.
- Extra Simmer Time. It really could be as easy as letting it simmer for longer. Simmering is a foolproof way to thicken the sauce – it just may take time. This is a great option if you don’t have any thickening agents to hand.
- Egg Yolk. Whisk an egg yolk separately and gradually add it to the cheese sauce. Do this over low heat, and be sure to mix in well. You may not need the entire egg yolk
- More Cheese. If you love your cheese, this is a great option (while not the healthiest!). More cheese will thicken the mix instantly and make it taste even cheesier – which is always a good thing for me!
I hope this article has helped you to become more familiar with how to make mac and cheese sauce without flour. I did say it was easier than you may expect! Be sure that any ingredients you add to your cheese sauce are gluten-free – as gluten can sneak it’s way into the most unexpected of foods.
Can you think of any other ways to make mac and cheese without flour? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below.
Hi, my name’s Zoë. I’m 28 years old and live in London, UK. I work full time as a freelance writer and critic for West End theatre. Writing has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I spend most of my free time at the theatre, or at conventions. I’m married to the love of my life, and live in a small apartment with my fur baby, Lillie. I run two of my own blogs: No Safer Place and Stage to Page: both of which have won awards. I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about all things stagey.