Today, we’re going to be answering the question: is Kraft American cheese gluten-free? And taking a look at whether other cheese products that Kraft has to offer contain gluten. When you first receive your diagnosis, you’ll likely be told that the foods to check the most are processed foods. And of course, American cheese is heavily processed. So is it gluten-free? Let’s take a look.
What Is American Cheese?
If you’re American, you’ll more than likely already know what American cheese is. But if you’re reading this from outside the US, you may not be sure. American cheese has been around since the early 1900s and it’s a processed cheese. It is a combination of several different kinds of cheese, with the main cheese usually being cheddar. It’s very mild-tasting but creamy and salty. It’s the perfect cheese to melt.
Ingredients In American Cheese
The most common ingredients in American cheese are:
- Cheddar cheese
- Colby cheese
- Milk proteins
- Emulsifying salts
However, every cheese is different, and it’s always worth checking the ingredients label as every cheese manufacturer is different and may not use the same ingredients – even if it’s the same style of cheese!
Does American Cheese Have Gluten?
Gluten can often find its way into many everyday foods. And although pure cheese is naturally gluten-free, when it’s been processed in any way or has any additives, it can very quickly not be suitable for a gluten-free lifestyle. However, surprisingly, many American cheeses contain no gluten and are therefore considered gluten-free.
If there look to be artificial colors added to the cheese, it is more likely to contain gluten. The easiest way to confirm is by checking the ingredients label. If you’re still unsure after checking the ingredients label, reach out to the manufacturer as they’re usually more than happy to help with any queries you have.
Another point worth mentioning is be wary of buying cheese from deli counters or markets. This is because it may have been a victim of cross-contact. Cross contact is when a product that does not contain any gluten comes into contact with gluten due to the preparation area or storage methods.
Ingredients In Kraft American Cheese
One of the most famous American cheese brands is Kraft. Walk into any grocery store, and you’ll be sure to come across this infamous cheese. Let’s take a look at the ingredients. The ingredients are:
- Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes)
- Sodium Citrate
- Calcium Phosphate
- Sodium Phosphate
- Sorbic Acid (Preservative)
- Annatto & Oleoresin Paprika (Color)
- Sunflower Lecithin
Is Kraft American Cheese Gluten-Free?
We have some good news if you love Kraft’s American Cheese – it’s gluten-free! While it’s not a good choice for those who are lactose intolerant, it’s the perfect choice for those intolerant to gluten.
Kraft is known for its honest and transparent labeling. Kraft products contain no “hidden” ingredients. And if a product is vague as to where something has been sourced from such as “modified food starch”, it will be followed in brackets where it’s derived from. You can find out more about Kraft’s labeling procedures here.
Is Kraft Parmesan Cheese Gluten-Free?
Another popular cheese from Kraft is their parmesan cheese. Parmesan is sharp, salty, and absolutely delicious. It works perfectly in soups, salads, and sandwiches. It has an almost nutty flavor, which I absolutely love.
The ingredients in Kraft Parmesan Cheese are:
- Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk
- Cheese Culture
Good news for any parmesan lovers – the Kraft Parmesan cheese is completely gluten-free and can be enjoyed safely on a gluten-free diet. The only allergen is milk.
Is Kraft Shredded Cheese Gluten-Free?
Let’s take a look at the ingredients in Velveeta American Shredded Cheese from Kraft. The ingredients are:
- Cheddar And Colby Cheeses
- Cheese Culture
- Annatto and Apocarotenal (Color)
- Whey Protein Concentrate
- Skim Milk
- Sodium Citrate
- Sodium Phosphate
- Sorbic Acid (preservative)
- Cellulose Powder (to prevent caking)
Despite the never-ending list of ingredients, this cheese is gluten-free and the only allergen listed is milk. As far as I can tell, all Kraft cheeses are gluten-free – although always be sure to check labels, as ingredients can change at any time.
Gluten Free Cheese
If you’re looking for brands of cheese that are generically gluten-free, look no further. Here’s a list of some brands and the best gluten-free cheese they have to offer.
- Organic Valley. One of the safest cheese brands available, and they supply a huge amount of gluten-free cheese, which is safe for those with celiac disease. Their Mild Cheddar Cheese is my go-to choice.
- Kerrygold. If you’re looking for a cheese perfect for shredding, try their aged Dubliner 100% natural cheese. It’s incredibly tasty!
- Litehouse. What’s great about this brand is that they’re certified gluten-free. If a product is certified gluten-free, it has undergone rigorous testing to ensure its gluten-free status and meets strict guidelines set by the FDA. Their Gorgonzola Cheese Wheel is absolutely delicious!
- Augason Farms. This is another brand that carries a gluten-free certification. While they offer a range of gluten-free cheeses, the Freeze Dried Shredded Colby Cheese should be your number one option. It’s amazing!
- Biazzo. If you’re craving ricotta cheese, I would highly recommend Biazzo. While it doesn’t carry a gluten-free label, it only contains 3 ingredients and works perfectly in lasagna.
I hope this article has helped to answer the question: is Kraft American cheese gluten-free? And helped you to easily identify which cheeses are gluten-free and how to spot when they may contain gluten. Cheese is one of the easiest products to source gluten-free – so we can enjoy cheese to our heart’s content!
What’s your favorite cheese? Are there any gluten-free brands we’ve not mentioned? Please feel free to add answers to the questions in the comments below.