Last Updated on October 16, 2021
Today, we’re going to be looking at Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream recipes. While it may be more common to see coconut cream in dishes such as curries or soups, I find it works even better in desserts – all gluten-free, of course. But what is coconut cream? Let’s take a look at Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream and it’s ingredients. And then look at some dessert recipes that will leave your mouth watering!
What Is Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream?
Coconut cream is thick and rich. Much more so than coconut milk. Coconut cream is a great dairy alternative to standard cream. In fact, coconut milk is made using 1 part shredded coconut, in one part water. Coconut cream has 4 parts shredded coconut, to one part water – that’s a whole lot of coconut! They taste very similar, but the coconut cream is much sweeter, and thicker. And the fat content is much higher in the cream.
You can pick up Trader’s Joe’s Coconut Cream in any of their stores for $1.69.
Ingredients In Coconut Cream (Trader Joe’s)
The best part is – it’s organic! And gluten-free, of course. And dairy-free! This means that it’s suitable for a range of dietary lifestyles. The only ingredients you’ll find in this product is organic coconut and water – it really is that natural!
Coconut Cream Recipe
There’s a huge range of recipes you can make using Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream, but we’re going to be focusing on some gluten-free desserts!
Coconut Cream Pie
Is there anything more delicious than a pie for dessert? On their website, Trader Joe’s has an incredible Coconut Cream Pie recipe. It’s rich, buttery, and the best part? The pie crust comes made already in it’s own tin – you just need to make the filling.
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- Trader Joe’s Organic Flake Coconut (1 cup)
- 2 Large Eggs
- Cane Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Cream (2 cups)
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (2 tbsp.)
- Unsalted Butter (1/2 tbsp.)
- Vanilla Extract (1 tsp.)
- Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pie Crust
This dessert is ready in just 4 simple steps.
- The oven needs to be preheated at 350°F. Spread the flake coconut onto a baking sheet and cook for 3-5 minutes. It should be slightly browned. Leave to cool.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and leave to one side. Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Add the coconut cream and butter into the same saucepan and cook over a medium heat. Be sure to keep stirring! Once thick and bubbly, remove from the heat.
- Gradually pour half of the hot mixture into the eggs that you left to one side and stir. Put the stirred egg and cream mixture, into the remaining half of the cream mixture. Cook over a medium heat (stirring repeatedly). Be sure not to let it boil! Change to low heat and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and half of the toasted coconut from earlier.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread the remaining coconut flakes on top of the mix. Cover pie and chill for 3-4 hours. It’s now ready to serve!
This recipe will be sure to go down a treat, and is super easy to make!
Coconut Milk Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate mousse is rich, chocolatey, and incredibly simple to make! And the best part – it’s naturally gluten-free. You only need 3 ingredients for this recipe – most of which you’ll already have in your pantry. You can also choose to add any toppings when serving, such as fresh fruit and nuts.
The ingredients you’ll need for this Best Coconut Milk Chocolate Mousse are:
- Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream (the whole thing!)
- Dutch Cocoa Powder (1/4 cup)
- Extract of your choice – Vanilla, Raspberry, etc. (1/2 tsp.)
Follow these simple steps to make a foolproof chocolate mousse!
- Be sure that the coconut cream is cold. Leaving in the coldest part of the fridge overnight will do the trick.
- Take the can out of the fridge and use immediately. Lift the coconut cream out of the can (gently) – we don’t need any of the remaining coconut water in this recipe.
- Put the cream into a bowl and add the extract you have chosen. Beat with an electric mixer/whisk until it starts to whip
- With a spatula, fold in the cocoa powder and mix again until light and fluffy
- It’s now ready to serve! However, if you want the mousse thicker, it may be best to chill for several hours. If you’re keeping it in the fridge, be sure to keep it covered so it’s fresh and tasty as possible.
You can serve the mousse with a range of fruits such as strawberries and raspberries. Or sprinkle with chopped nuts to give the dessert a little bit of crunch. However you serve it, you’ll definitely be going back for seconds!
The best part about Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream is that it’s so versatile. It can be used in a range of recipes from starters, through to desserts. If you’re looking for a creamy soup, or you’re looking for a coconut tasting carry, or maybe even trying one of our yummy dessert suggestions – it works well with anything!
And it’s super affordable! If you’re looking for a dessert to wow your guests on a budget – Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream is a great place to start. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party for a gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant, or vegan – it’s suitable for everyone!
Have you used Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream for any gluten-free recipes? Or are you going to try making one of our suggestions on this article today? If so, please let me know how you get on in the comments below. And share any other recipes you have. I’m sure the gluten-free community would be grateful – especially those with more than one intolerance (I’m intolerant to milk too!).
Hi, my name’s Zoë. I’m 28 years old and live in London, UK. I work full time as a freelance writer and critic for West End theatre. Writing has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I spend most of my free time at the theatre, or at conventions. I’m married to the love of my life, and live in a small apartment with my fur baby, Lillie. I run two of my own blogs: No Safer Place and Stage to Page: both of which have won awards. I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about all things stagey.