Last Updated on April 6, 2022
Today, we’re going to be answering the question: is creme brulee gluten free? And taking a look at the best gluten-free brands available, as well as a gluten-free creme brulee recipe. But what actually is creme brulee? Let’s take a look.
What Is Creme Brulee?
Creme Brulee is an incredibly popular dessert choice around the world. Essentially, it means burnt cream. It has a custard base, with caramelized sugar across the top. It’s incredibly sweet and tastes mostly of vanilla and sugar. It’s most popular in England, France, and Spain.
Learn more about: Is Jello Vanilla Pudding Gluten-Free?
Gluten Free Creme Brulee Recipe
Creme Brulee is the perfect recipe for a dinner party. And the best part is, it’s incredibly quick to make ahead of time. This recipe from Let Them Eat GF Cake is one of the easiest creme brulee recipes I’ve seen.
The only ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- 4 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
- granulated sugar for caramelizing
- fresh berries (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add the egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar into a bowl. Mix well until ingredients are combined, and sugar has dissolved. Now add the heavy cream gradually, stirring continuously as you go
- Put your ramekins into a roasting pan. Distribute the mixture into the ramekins evenly
- Place the roasting pan onto the middle rack. Carefully remove one of the ramekins and add hot water to the roasting pan where the ramekin was. Place the ramekin back in the pan and cover the pan with foil
- Bake for around 40 minutes. To check if your creme brulee is ready, shake the pan gently. Only the center of the creme brulee should be jiggly. If you have deeper ramekins, they may need slightly longer – so put them back in for a further 10 minutes
- Leave the creme brulee to cool in the pan for around 10 minutes. Now remove the ramekins and place them in the fridge. They should be uncovered and left for a minimum of 4 hours.
- When getting ready to serve, sprinkle the top with granulated sugar and place it under the broiler until they turn golden brown. Add fruit on top, if desired
Read more about: Is Mexican Flan Gluten-Free?
Gluten Free Creme Brulee Brands
There are plenty of gluten-free brands available when it comes to creme brulee. Let’s take a look at our top picks.
Toscano is an Australian brand. They carry a clear gluten-free label on their products, which makes this brand one of the safest options for us. The only ingredients in their gluten-free creme brulee are:
- egg yolk
- natural vanilla flavoring
- caramel (glucose syrup and sugar)
The only allergens for this product are eggs and milk. However, they may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.
Reina is a Spanish brand. Spain is incredible for gluten-free food, and they’re extremely clear with their labeling of food. Their Catalan Cream (Crema Catalana) is delicious and carries a clear gluten-free label. You can pick up a box of 2 desserts for around €1.50; which is exceptionally cheap.
The only ingredients in this product are:
- egg yolk
- whole milk
- skim milk
- caramelized sugar
- modified corn starch
Bonne Maman does not display a gluten-free label. However, it does not contain any gluten ingredients and is considered safe for a gluten-free diet. This brand is most popular in the UK, where you can find it in almost every grocery store. It costs around £2.50 for a box of two desserts.
The ingredients in this product are:
- fresh cream
- skimmed milk
- fresh egg yolk
- whole fresh egg
- natural vanilla extract
- vanilla seeds
- caramel powder (topping)
While this is a selection of the most popular creme brulee brands that are gluten-free – this list is by no means extensive! There are plenty of options in almost every grocery store; most of which are gluten-free. Own brands are even usually gluten-free! For example, in Sainsbury’s, have its own brand and does not contain any gluten ingredients.
It’s always worth checking everything on the shelves, as it may surprise you how many foods you come across that are naturally gluten-free. As long as you’re checking for wheat, rye, barley, oats (unless gluten-free) and spelt (just remember the acronym BROWS!) – it can be super easy to shop gluten-free.
I hope this article has helped to answer the question: is creme brulee gluten-free? Most of the time, creme brulee is a safe dessert choice; however, it’s always best to double-check. When buying from a grocery store, it’s super easy to find gluten-free creme brulee – and even easier to make it yourself! As with most of the ingredients, you’ll likely already have in your pantry.
Do you know of any other gluten-free creme brulee brands that didn’t make the list? Or do you have your own recipe you’d like to share? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
What is Creme Brulee Mostly Made Of?
There are very few ingredients in creme brulee. The only ingredients you'll usually find in creme brulee are cream, vanilla, sugar, eggs and water. Cream and eggs are definitely the leading ingredients in the dish - and make it ever so sweet (and delicious!).
Does Creme Brulee Have Gluten?
Creme brulee is usually considered a gluten free dessert. This is because the usual ingredients are cream, vanilla, sugar, eggs and water - all of which are gluten free. However, some manufacturers may add gluten to help with consistency, texture or shelf life. They also may make their products in an area that is not dedicated to gluten free food. If this is the case, it may have been a victim of cross contact. It's always best to check the ingredients label, and opt for products that carry a "gluten free" label, where possible.