Today, we’re going to be looking at how to make gluten-free rolled dumplings. They are delicious balls of goodness, that make the perfect addition to any meal. With winter upon us, there’s nothing like a side of dumplings with a chicken stew to warm you up. But are they typically gluten-free? Let’s take a look, and then we’ll move on to the recipes!
What Are Rolled Dumplings?
Dumplings can be found in many dishes and can be made from a variety of ingredients. But typically, a dumpling is dough that has a filling inside. It can be filled with a range of foods such as meats, cheese, vegetables, and fish. Or have no filling at all!
Ingredients In Dumplings
The ingredients for the dumplings themselves contain very few ingredients at all. The main ingredients you’ll need for dumpling dough is:
Are Dumplings Gluten-Free?
As you can see from the ingredients, dumplings are typically not gluten-free. This is because the flour most commonly used in dumplings is wheat flour.
Wheat is a cereal grain, that unfortunately contains gluten. You can find gluten in a few cereal grains such as rye, barley, and oats (unless GF oats). When you’re following a gluten-free diet, these grains should be avoided at all times to prevent symptoms or internal damage (if you’re celiac).
Although typically, dumplings are not gluten-free, it’s super easy to make your own gluten-free dumplings! This is because it’s easy to substitute wheat flour with gluten-free flour. We’ll be taking a look at how to make dumplings from scratch in our second recipe!
King Arthur Gluten-Free Dumplings Recipe
Learn more about: Do Spring Rolls Have Gluten?
If you’re looking for a creamy, delicious stew that you can prep in just 20 minutes, with as few ingredients as possible – King Arthur Baking is the way to go! They have an incredible Gluten-Free Chicken and Dumplings recipe, which you can make with their gluten-free baking mix.
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- 3/4 cup of Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Baking Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder (this is optional but makes the dumplings light and tender)
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken
- 1 cup of frozen veggies
- one teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
Here’s a step by step guide to making the perfect chicken and dumplings:
- Over medium heat, heat the chicken, chicken broth, veggies, pepper, and salt, until boiling
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and milk until smooth. Gradually add the mix to the chicken mix and heat until boiling
- Leave the chicken on low heat and add all of the dumpling ingredients to a bowl. Use a fork to mix them together
- Onto the boiling chicken mixture, gently drop around 8 balls of the dumpling dough into the water
- Reduce to low heat and cook for around 15 minutes – whilst covered
- Remove from heat and serve hot!
Your chicken and dumplings are now ready!
GF Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Gluten-free chicken dumplings – is there really a better pairing? For our second recipe, we have an incredibly tasty one from Noshtastic! This recipe takes around 90 minutes, but it’s worth the extra time as it’s utterly delicious.
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are quite extensive, so let’s take a look!
For the dumplings:
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 beaten medium eggs
- 1 cup of gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 tsps. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sliced carrots
- 3 sliced ribs of celery
- fresh parsley
First, let’s take a look at how to make gluten-free dumplings. All you need to do is:
- Place all the dry ingredients for the dumplings into a bowl. Gradually add in the beaten eggs and chicken broth. Be sure to mix well
- It should form a thick and sticky dough. When the stew is ready, add spoonfuls of the dough to it
- Cover and leave to simmer on low heat for around 20 minutes
- Season and garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately
But before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s go back to what we need to do first: the chicken! Just follow this easy guide:
- In a large pan, place the whole chicken, add the bay leaves and cover with around 6-8 cups of water. The chicken should be covered
- Bring it to the boil and for around an hour, cover the chicken with a lid and leave it to simmer. You’ll likely need to regularly check the chicken and skim off any excess foam from the water
- While your chicken is simmering away, peel and slice the carrots, finely chop the parsley and slice the ribs of celery
- When the chicken has around 10 minutes left to cook (so after around 50 minutes), heat the oil in a large pan (this is for the entire stew, so be sure it’s a big one!) and cook the onion, parsley, and celery for around 5-10 minutes
- Add the broth from the chicken to the veggies and leave to simmer for a few minutes so it soaks up the flavor of the broth
- Once the chicken has cooled enough, remove the skin and add the pulled meat to your stew. Season and then start the process with your dumplings, as above
Your chicken and dumplings are ready to serve!
I hope this article has helped to show you how to make gluten-free rolled dumplings and how to perfect your chicken and dumplings. While it may be difficult to find gluten-free dumplings in your local grocery store, it’s super easy to make your own at home – even if you’re a novice in the kitchen like me.
Do you have your own recipe? Please feel free to let me know in the comments below.
Read more about: Is Crab Rangoon Gluten-Free? (& GF Recipe)