Last Updated on March 29, 2022
Today, we’re going to be looking at gluten free lumpia wrappers and how to make the perfect gluten-free lumpia from scratch. You may not be familiar with lumpia but they are the most delicious side dish. And if you’ve been following a gluten-free diet for a while, maybe craving. Is lumpia gluten-free? Are there gluten-free alternatives? Let’s take a look.
What Is Lumpia?
Lumpia is a type of Filipino spring roll. They are made with a very thin crepe-like pastry (which is the lumpia wrapper) and can be filled with a whole host of fillings. Whether you like your dishes sweet or savory, you can tailor lumpia to whatever you’re craving.
Store-Bought Lumpia Wrappers
I’ll be honest, it isn’t easy to find lumpia wrappers in store, particularly gluten-free ones. But there are a range of gluten-free options you can try if you don’t want to make the wrappers yourself.
Blue Dragon offers Gluten-Free Spring Roll Wrappers which are made using rice flour, tapioca flour starch, salt, and water. They’re delicious fried or fresh and are not just gluten-free, but also vegan too – meaning they’re suitable for a range of dietary lifestyles. They go super crispy, which is always a bonus.
Mom’s Place has a great Gluten Free Egg Roll or Wonton Wrapper Mix which is made using brown rice flour and sorghum flour. It’s worth noting that egg roll wrappers are significantly thicker, so bear that in mind when making your wrappers. Mom’s Place has an incredible selection of gluten-free products, which are worth taking a look at.
Rice paper can often be found in grocery stores and is naturally gluten-free. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, you may want to opt for rice paper.
Gluten Free Lumpia Wrappers Recipe
The best way to fulfill your lumpia craving is simply to make your own. It can prove quite difficult to find gluten-free lumpia, so starting from scratch is the easiest way. This recipe is from Let Them Eat GF Cake and comes highly recommended.
For the lumpia, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of gluten-free bread flour blend
- 2 egg whites (room temp)
- 600ml of warm water
Filling (you can choose to fill with whichever meat/veg you’d like)
- 1kg of chicken
- 3 grated cloves of garlic
- 2cm of grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of scallions (chopped)
- 100g of shredded Napa cabbage
- 45g of shredded carrots
- oil for frying
- Mix all of the wrapper ingredients above until you reach a batter-like consistency
- On medium heat, heat a skillet. Grab a pastry brush and as if you’re painting the batter onto the skillet, paint batter in strokes. Go one way, and then another, overlapping until you make a square (around 8 inches). Cook for around 20 seconds and once you can lift it off the skillet, place it on a baking sheet and continue making the wrappers until all the batter has been used
- Discard any crispy edges and cut the wrappers in half to make rectangular shapes. Grab 2 of the wrappers and keep the rest under a damp towel
- Mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl and place it on one side
Making The Lumpia
- Lay the 2 wrappers side by side and add around a tablespoon of filling from the side that’s closest to you on each wrapper. Roll the wrapper around the filling and seal the edge with a finger dipped in water
- Place the lumpia on a baking sheet and cover
- Repeat with all of the remaining wrappers until all wrappers have been used
- Heat around half an inch of oil on medium heat. Fry the lumpia in the oil for around 3-4 minutes. You want them to be brown and crispy
- Drain on paper towels once cooked and they’re ready to serve!
Read more about: Are Egg Roll Wrappers Gluten-Free?
I hope this article has helped to introduce you to the world of gluten-free lumpia wrappers and shown you how to make your own, using our delicious gluten-free recipe. We can hope that in the future, they’ll be more gluten-free options available for us. In the meantime, we’ll just have to make our own!
Do you know of any ready-made gluten-free lumpia? Or have a recipe you think is worth sharing? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
What is Lumpia Wrapper Made of?
Lumpia is most often made using the following ingredients: wheat flour, corn flour, salt and water. As you can probably tell from the ingredients, lumpia is not often gluten free. Although the filling itself does not usually contain any gluten ingredients, one of the main ingredients for the wrappers is wheat flour. And wheat can not be consumed when following a gluten free diet.
What Can I Substitute For Lumpia Wrappers?
You can use a range of substitutes if you don't have lumpia wrappers to hand. Rice paper spring roll wrappers, or tapioca spring roll wrappers are the closest match to lumpia wrappers, that are usually gluten free. However, always be sure to check any ingredient labels. You could also try a gluten free egg roll mix, although it'll make for much thicker lumpia than usual. Or finally, you could try gluten free phyllo dough, which make for light and crispy lumpia.
Are Store Bought Egg Roll Wrappers Gluten Free?
No. More often than not, egg roll wrappers are not gluten free. This is because they usually contain wheat flour. It's almost impossible to find ready made gluten free egg roll wrappers, but Mom's Place do a great gluten free egg roll mix.
What’s the Difference Between Spring Roll Wrappers and Lumpia Wrappers?
Filipino spring rolls (lumpia) are different than the spring rolls we're used to because they have a much thinner wrapper. They're also much more crispy and flakier than "traditional" spring rolls as they're pan fried in hot oil.